Wednesday 12 December 2007

I'm Back

In Korea that is, after a whirlwind trip to NZ.
Flew home Friday night, uneventfully, had a chilled out sunny Saturday at home it was fantastic, followed by a pathetic night out in Tauranga, that place hasn't changed an iota since i left which isn't a good thing.
Sunday was great, had a full Christmas lunch with my family, ate myself into a stupor, and even got a haircut. Then drove to Auckland.
Monday had the interview, which I think went pretty well, I dunno, I think I made a reasonable impression, they asked some pretty probing questions and some quite open-ended ones.
I'm pretty sure I didn't come off as a fool, but I think I was using way too many unnecessary big words.
On the day I had a letter from my primary school, I was trying to apply for Rural Origin Preferential entry, however this was supposed to be done at the time of the original application so I was way, way too late. However they took my extenuating circumstances (being on the other side of the world) and today said I'm allowed to apply. However for the Rural Origin applicants, the interview has an extra interviewer and more questions and so forth, so luckily they're letting me make up the missing part over the phone sometime in the next week. Not quite sure what more they need to know, but I guess they want to ascertain that there's a reasonable chance of me moving back rural when I'm a doctor.
Spent the rest of the day doing a bit of shopping and chilling out, went and saw Dave, Erina and Ash for an hour, got some rest.
My flight back on Tuesday was amazing, hilariously so.
I got seated next to this Korean girl. She was siting there fiddling there playing with her seatbelt, then started playing with tray table and the switch holding it in, I'm obviously amused by this and she turns and asks me what this thing's for.
So I explain that it's a table for putting your food and drinks on, when they serve us food
That we get lunch and dinner on the flight, and she was surprised and said but I don't have any money, so I explain that they come with the flight.
Anyway, this 'Korean' girl is actually an 18yo NZer, she's spent her entire life in NZ and knows absolutely nothing about Korea, she didn't really pack any warm clothes, can't imagine it being colder than Auckland in Winter. So I explained a few Korean etiquettes, yes i do love the irony and she asked some questions. At one point she asked if there was internet in Korea, that was amazing. This girl wasn't stupid, just lacked a lot of knowledge. And I don't mean just about Korea, because it turns out she knew nothing about NZ either, she lived in Auckland and didn't know where Tauranga was, or Taupo, or Rotorua, and she reckoned she could probably find Wellington on a map. She also hadn't even heard of Rangitoto or Waiheke.( The islands in Auckland harbour)
In fact she had never taken a car ride for more than an hour in her life. She reckoned she'd barely ever left Howick and the suburb on either side.
It was fantastic because as I said before she was quite intelligent, you could tell, but she just didn't know much about places, or airplanes.
All in all, an enjoyable flight
I wrote this yesterday and forgot where I was going with it, probably some hilarious punchline but sadly no

1 comment:

anderchris said...

I'm just getting snow here myself. Proper winter is awesome.

Really wish Tauranga would become more than Gods waiting room tho.