Friday 17 August 2007

So, I got told my Korean was good yesterday by the taxi driver - He was wrong.
I jumped in the taxi and had this conversation.
Translated for your convenience (and cause otherwise I'd be here for ages)
Me: Hi, take me to Sacred Heart Hospital please
Me: Gangdong Sacred Heart Hospital (This is where I live)
Driver: Your Korean is very good
Me: Yes, Yes, No, Wha?? (obviously not)
Driver: (In English): You Korean language is good
Me: (laughing) No

We then had a few snippets of very broken English conversation.

From this I have taken that I have my directions home grammatically and pronunciatically (just made that word up) almost perfect.
And my Korean is greatly lacking, and I am a lazy fuck for not learning more

This followed by a fun drunken conversation later in the night, us three boys and a Korean couple, the woman spoke very good English and her boyfriend very basic English.
At one point, the guy decides he wants to join the conversation, so he asks so who speaks Korean here.
Ah none of us, and the woman is like what, really? you guys suck, well maybe not the last part but it was implied

However this week marks the start of my concerted effort to actually start learning some Korena, lets hope it sticks

2 comments:

Antony and Kim said...

nice linguistic skills. "pronunciatically"...classic. "Shotting" still dominates. Word doesn't even put a squiggly red line underneath it!!!!

Brad said...

Mac does, maybe you've added it to your word dictionary.
Though to be fair, shotting is technically a word, though generally jargon is not widely accepted by dictionaries.
Shotting- The process of filling shotgun shells with pellets