Friday 23 March 2007

Insert title here

Hey Guys, its been a few days without posting now, thought I'd catch up.
Firstly, yesterday was one of the best days I've had at Boston Campus ,and I can pretty accurately pinpoint why. If you've been reading recently, you will have heard of my monster child Jade, well yesterday morning just before lunch my Korean co-teacher comes in and starts gathering up his books, and I sure as hell go ad help her, we may not be able to converse particularly well, but I liked where this was going.
So anyway his mother has pulled him out, I think the fact that he's spent most of the last few days in solitary and yesterday he hit one of the other kids did it.
I will clarify that Boston Campus under no circumstance will kick someone out, soit was the mothers choice.
Subsequently it was my Korean teachers duty to try and talk her out of it, but I very much doubt her heart was in it.
After he left I saw her physically change, she'd been looking strung out but it just lifted and she looked like she might enjo her job again.
It was heaven, the rest of the class is by no means perfect, there are still two troublemakers, but at least they feel bad when i tell them off.
The final piece of yesterday was my super-late class (early-teens), who would not stop talking, do not do their homework, and were impossible to control.
I walk in and they actually quieten down and look at me, and they'd done their hw
This was evident in Vocabulary test I gave them, on Tuesday i gave them six of the ten words they were supposed to study for homework, 2 ppl got one right and the rest none, out of 12.
yesterday they got 4,5,6 right.
Ahhh kids that listen.

Other random crap:
I was really impressed last night walking along, I saw a patrol of 5/6 cops walking along the street (I haven't seen a cop further than 15m from a police station the whole time i've been here), ahh normal cop behaviour, then they all turn into a restaurant.
Hmmm maybe not.

Korea is super-anti drugs, particularly marijuana.
If you ever go to the hospital for anything, they take a blood sample and among the normal tests, they do a drug test on it. If they find anything, you're charged with possession.
That's right folks, marijuana in your system is possession, so you may have been in Amsterdam 3 weeks ago, and if you come to Korea, you're in possession of drugs.

And I'll leave you with a comment from Janet yesterday:
Whilst telling me that a few of the kids in one of my classes were complaining
(I took over from a teacher who alot of his students described as their best teacher ever, he lectured, not my style, but Koreans love it)
Anyway, i was saying that two weeks into the term I had just learnt their names, ( I have probavly 60 odd kids, a large portion of whom i dont knwo their names, I'm taking it one class at a time)

Janet: But I thought all white people were really good at remembering names


Postscript: This post has been brought to you, in a particularly hungover state so please excuse any blatant discontinuities or lack of content.

No comments: